Wednesday 15 September 2010

Weekend at home

We have arrived back at Chirk after a whistle stop visit back home for a wedding. We had a very enjoyable time. The train journey to Marylebone is easy one, with no changes and takes around 3.5 hours. The train carriage especially on the way home was very plush with powerpoints for laptops and was extremely comfortable. As it sped through the countryside I was treated to some amazing cloud formations over the horizon.

The wedding was fantastic and we were very honoured to be part of their special day. The bride looked lovely wearing a blue and white dress, the wedding cake was shaped as a narrowboat and this is the first wedding that I have been to where the bride and her band played. It was really nice to see our friends again and catch up on all their news. We even stayed at our house which was surreal as I had not slept there for long while. Time was spent with my parents and we went to see our friends puppy and was surprised how lively she is. All in all a busy couple of days, but very enjoyable.

Everyone told us how relaxed and well we looked which we put down to not working. This opportunity of taking a year sabbatical I guess is sort of unique and it really has opened my eyes to the effect that the stresses and strains that work has and normally, I guess it is only when we retire do we notice this. For people of my generation it will be when we are 67 before we are able to see recognise our non work self or in fact if I am all doom and gloom, it may be a sad fact that some of us may not be able to afford to retire at all. I have often said that I spent more time on my work chair that I did on my comfortable settee at home, in fact, we may spend more that 50+%(?) of our non sleeping week working and work related tasks (and a good % of our week on chores). Yes, I know we have to, so that bills are paid etc, but what I am pondering to myself is how many of the population enjoy what they have to do for more that 50% of their life? and probably a high % thinking / worrying about work during the evening and weekends.

I am in a fortunate position that I enjoy my job, working with young people, however, despite the fact that I have a job which I helped people and get a great deal of satisfaction from doing this and really do love my work, it still consumed me and my life and only now I have been able to recognise this.

We have almost decided that we are staying here for a few months, mainly as it’s a lovely place, so why leave?. However, we would like to take a few day trips from here. Chester, Liverpool and North Wales spring to mind and thanks to my parents, we may borrow a car come October.

At first, with the thought of staying here, I was checking courses, thinking about voluntary work. I was all consumed in finding something to do, so that this year would not be a waste, so I could say that during my year I learnt to paint or to line dance etc. However, during the train on the way home, I changed my mind, even though we will not be travelling for a couple of months, I really don’t need this time to achieve anything, I can just use this time to be a unstressed and relaxed me.. (of course, this is the famous last words, you can just see the blog in a couple of weeks time moaning that I am bored!)

Yes, I am aware that this blog has been nothing about narrowboats or travelling so apologies, but I do enjoy rambling on about nothing, and when you can touch type it is very easy to get carried away, luckily a cup of tea has just been made for me, so I will quickly post my blog before I start to discuss politics, the flooding in Pakistan or the poor miners, who I have been informed are not getting paid whilst they are stuck in the mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment