Wednesday 13 October 2010

Llangollen Railway

On Sunday I said farewell to friends and on Monday welcomed my father. He arrived by train from Marylebone which is a very easy journey for him. He stayed in a local hotel and we were able to join him for breakfast as well as having the opportunity to watch TV. Its only when I see it do I realise I miss it. I watch intensely for the initial bit  Sky News with the rescue of the miners.  It seems ages ago when I first read about their plight. Since we left home there have been a number of notable news stories which I missed watching on tv, the floods in Pakistan/china and fires Russia to name a few.  

After my father arrived we took him to the waterfall for lunch. Even though we were only there the day before I really wanted him to see it and the countryside surrounding it. 

We took a trip on the Llangollen railway. It was really good. The train was a 1950's one of which only 5 was built. We paid a £1 extra to go first class of which we were the only ones in the carriage. The journey followed the River Dee and was very pretty. A round trip of 1 1/2 hours which if you take the 11.00 train means you are back at Llangollen for lunch. We in fact went to a hotel along the River Dee for a £5 lunch which was very reasonable for the amount to eat.   After a quick trip to Wrexham and a rest we went to an Indian restaurant in Oswestry called Simla. Highly recommended. 

The Temperature is getting colder at the moment. Monday saw a fantastic day, not a cloud in the sky but to my surprise there was frost on the grass and on the walkway to the boat. I don't recall getting frost so early in London.  Yesterday after being out all day the temperature in the boat was very cold and this morning was very chilly but a getting the fire going quickly warms us up. . The cratch cover has also been a godsend as it stops the draught from the vents. People have always asked how we keep warm in winter. Once lit the stove gets the boat hotter then what we have at home and we also have gas central heating which is hardly used.

The days are getting shorter and I  really hate the darkness (not the band) and have a real fear of it. It's almost like I  feel that when it's dark I should be inside rather than out and about
which is tricky when it gets dark
so early.  We are however getting used to driving down the country lanes at dark and avoiding the many rabbits  which appear at night. We will be purchasing a good torch for the car in case of emergencies as it is so dark with no street lights and general light pollution.  Perhaps I am over precautious but we have watched a few Vampire movies recently. 

During breakfast with my father I could see the A5 and noted a number of trucks carrying sheep. Obviously they are not being transported for a winter holiday but I guess more likely for a journey which is accompanied by mint sauce. 

Sorry no pictures at the moment as I have used all my data allowance so will upload them in a couple of days 

No comments:

Post a Comment