Tuesday 8 February 2011

Ruin, Chester, fish nibbling feet and a visitor

On Friday night we went to the pub for a rugby match. Now, I am not one for rugby at all, but I have never seen a match so I thought that as this is a year for new experiences, why not. The pub was just in the border of England, but you would not know it. Welsh flags everywhere, I think we were almost the only ones without a Welsh team t-shirt. The game was won by England, but I am unsure if it was a good game or not as I still am unsure how to play it. Later that evening the winds came and I have never been on a narrow boat when it was so windy. Despite using all three ropes, the boat rocked to and fro. Even Matilda was scared.

Saturday saw another miserable day but was brighten by a visitor. She arrived by train from Watford and was happy to be here again in this beautiful part of the country.

We did not do much on Saturday as her goal was to relax, we had a pub lunch and then a tea on the top of Horseshoe pass. The weather was really bad, wet, cold and windy and the evening was spent watching a film.

Sunday we took a walk up the Ruin above Llangollen. The view was not fantastic as it was cloudy. The wind was so strong, probably the strongest I have ever experienced, remaining standing was tricky especially at the top and whilst trying to negotiated the precarious steps back down. With the cobwebs gone and a good few lungs full of fresh air we treated ourselves to a cream tea.


Monday also was windy so we took a drive to Chester for lunch and found a café underground for a jacket potato. After lunch we decided to give our feet a little treat and found a shop which has tanks of Garra Rufa fish. Basically you put your feet into the tank and they eat all your dead skin cells. It felt very odd, like lots of little bubbles. I am unsure if there is any cruelty aspect of this, however, all I can say is that it worked after only 15 minutes of being nibbled my feet felt better. If I ever went again, I would do it for longer.

Today my friend went home and typically it is a lovely sunny day. We drove her to Shrewsbury as there are no trains from Wrexham to Shrewsbury due to flooding on the line as we did not want her to miss the connecting train by taking the rail replacement bus. It was lovely having her to stay and the boat feels a little empty at the moment. Tomorrow back to the routine as its laundry day yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment