Wednesday 24 November 2010

Tintern Abbey, craft shops, cider factory, docks and a canal basin

Been out an about over the past few days. Luckily the weather has been good but it is now rather chilly now. Snow on the way I believe. I don’t recall ever having snow in November before. I am looking forward to seeing the countryside in the snow, all crispy and white, the photos will be amazing! Other than visiting a few places we have not been up to much. I did have some correspondence from the BBC regarding a photograph I sent to them of Matilda, they wanted my contact details so that a reporter could interview me, but sadly they did not call. I had visions of being on the news but I think the announcement of the Royal Wedding scarpered those plans. Below I have listed a few places which we have been to recently.

Tintern Abbey:

The Abbey was founded by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow in 1131. It is a fantastic building sitting on the backs of the River Wye. It is a very impressive building and I feel that my couple of photos do not do it justice. The present-day remains of Tintern are a mixture of building works covering a 400-year period between 1136 and 1536. Very little remains of the first buildings. I would imagine on a dark winters evening walking it would seem a tad eerie.

Taurus Crafts

This is ‘village’ of 7 little craft shops, a deli and a tea room . It is a centre which provides opportunities for people with disabilities to gain work experience and qualifications. It is an Aladdin’s cave of knickknacks s and I could have easily spent a fortune on bit and pieces. Luckily for me, I am mindful that there is not much space on a boat.

Cider Factory

This is in the heart of Herefordshire and when you step out of the car there is a distinct smell of apples in the air. Unfortunately we were unable to go on the tour so we settled for a drink of apple juice which was lovely and sweet. The café had walls and walls of different cider bottles both old and new.


Herefordshire and Gloucester Canal

I was unaware that the above canal existed and from what I have read it is still being restored by the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal Trust. When it is completed it will restore 34 miles of rural canal from Gloucester to Hereford. According to the trust website, once finished it will be one of the most attractive cruising routes in the country. I am unsure if any of it is navigatable just yet, there were a couple of boats on the basin, however, I think they were part of the restoration project. I also could not establish when it will be finished, however, it is worth while keeping at eye on the Trust Website as I would imagine it would be a lovely canal to have a holiday on.

Gloucester Docks

We took a quick visit to the docks to look around, very modern with new flats which I guess were converted from old warehouses. There is a Waterways museum there, but we did not visit as we went there last year. This marks the start of the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, which I believe can only be accessed via the River Seven and seeing it flow quickly I think you would have to be very brave to travel along it in a narrowboat.

Symonds Yat Rock

This is a rock which raises about 120 meters over the River Wye and it one of the most popular view points in the Forest of Dean. We only quickly stopped to look at the view and I hope that we can go back there again for a longer walk. (Weather permitting!)

Only 31 days till xmas! - Apologises for the quality of some photos, they were taken with the phone,

No comments:

Post a Comment