Monday 2 August 2010

Bridge 6 Llangollen Canal


Woke up with the hope of a sunny day however they were soon dashed as I saw the clouds come over (photo below). It did not rain, but it was very dull. We left Nantwich(photo) and have arrived on the Llangollen canal and have done the one thing that we were advised against which is travelling along this canal during the peak season as we were warned of queues at locks. To enter the canal there are 4 locks very close together. We went straight into the first one and the subsequent ones, however the boat in front of us had to wait and there was a queue building up behind us. We were lucky.

Holiday makers do seem to be in a rush and even with Scott at the tiller and me doing the lock gates, we do not seem to be fast enough for some of the boaters. I have noticed that if they have a crew they are able to manage the locks a lot quicker – 1 person on each side. The other day a young lad from the boat behind us was sent to help me as I guess we were just a bit too slow and today, a group of ladies sent me ahead to set the next lock before I had even finished opening the paddles of the one of which the boat was in!.

We also seem to be going a bit too slow along the canal for some boaters and despite us sticking to the 4mph speed limit on a couple of occasions we had boats overtake us. Some boats do go stupidly fast.

We are moored next to cows again, at first I did not notice due to the hedge between us and them. I could not work out what the odd munching noise was and it took me a few minutes for the penny to drop to work that the cow was having its lunch.

So a leisurely month along this canal to Chrik where we have booked ourselves in a marina for September. I have to admit, I am feeling a little bit lost at the moment with a lack of things to keep me occupied, especially when we are moored up for the evening after our stroll

Matilda caught another animal.. we think it was a Shrew!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just reading your excellent blog.How about getting a jigsaw and one of those mats you roll it up in so that you can put it away for the next time you are bored :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments about the blog.. Will consider a jigsaw and I like the idea that it can be folded away..

    ReplyDelete