Thursday 19 August 2010

Trevor

Roughly 290 miles, 174 locks and 154 hours of cruising time we have made it to Trevor and the famous aqueducts. 

 The main one is 127 feet high and 1007 feet in length it has 19 arches and 18 pillars.  It was built over 200 years ago by 500 men who use wooden scaffolding, primitive cranes and muscle power.  It is clearly a marvellous feet of engineering and highlight of our trip so far. The view is breathtaking and a tad scary being so high. 

This is as far as we're going on this canal so we have done our first 180° turn in 290 miles.  We have decided not to go to Llangollen as we have heard it shallow in places so will probably let someone else drive and find a boat trip so they can scrape the bottom of their boat.

The basin here is a nightmare. Boats turning,  trying to moor, using poles to help them but pushing against the sides  (and paint work) of other boats and children walking along the gunnels of our boat!  At 4 PM today the day hire boats came back causing all sorts of chaos and the boat trips have stopped for the day.  One  boat trip (driven by a professional?!) bumped into us quite dramatically I put my head out to see what was what had happened and no word of apology and when I looked at the damage I heard the two men on the boat complaining that I was checking my paintwork.  I understand that boats bump into each other, however they did not have to be so rude. Imagine the nightmare when the weekly hire boats all return together at the weekend.

We have arrived here earlier than expected so will have some time to explore the area before visitors arrive in September.  I have  purchased my map so if weather permitting will be doing some walks and bus trips, however it always does seem to rain. 

No internet signal here so I've used iPhone and Dragon software.  I will post some pictures as soon as possible

No comments:

Post a Comment