Friday 9 July 2010

North of Atherston










We are just north of Atherston surrounded by fields and in-between locks. We did about 7 then decided to call it a day and do the remainder tomorrow. These lock are so much easier than the ones in the Grand Union. I guess though the main disadvantage of them is that they are only able to take one boat (Grand Union can do 2 Narrowboats – in fact I have seen four little boats), which means that there are more queues. Today, I spoke to some holiday makers who were coming the other way, they waiting for 1 and ½ hours before they could get into the first lock. I believe that in the summer holidays queuing in popular places does happen, so we plan to get up early or do the locks later in the evening when all the holiday makers are tucking into their dinners. We are going to try and avoid some of the more popular places such as the North Wales canal until after the summer holidays.

I met one couple on holiday, my word they were in a hurry. They were doing a ‘ring’ which is starting in one spot and effectively going round in a circle - I guess you can do either clockwise or anti clockwise. The problem with this, was that they had a long way to go in such a short period of time. I do wonder if they ever relaxed on their holiday, they had a plan to travel so many hours in a day. Of course, once you have gone half way round, there is no point to turn and go back – you might as well carry on. They cannot be flexible with their time as they only booked a weeks holiday. I do like being able (like today) to stop wherever we want and when.

We have met the train again, we seem to lose it for a day or so, then by surprise, I am so close that I can see the passengers working on their laptops. I believe that this is the same line back to Watford. Still missing home a bit, it is rather an odd feeling. The boat is my home, has been for sometime - has all our stuff and is rather comfortable. However, each time we move to a different location (especially ones where we have stayed a couple of nights) I do feel sad – I am not sure if I am missing Uxbridge and all it has to offer (!), or missing the familiarity of being in the same place for a while.

Went for a wonder this evening, Scott did not want to come, so I had Matilda as company, she walked with me for quite a distance and then decided to stray from the towpath and go into some fields. Not fancying getting lost again, I picked her up, carried her to the towpath and we walked back to the boat. I think she liked the company.

Whilst I am typing this there is an old 'lassie' dog a few boats down, bless him, he keeps picking up his ball, walking a few steps and putting it down again. I think he wants to play. Matilda is watching him rather closely.

I saw these plants..look like rhubarb, but doubt it.. any clues?


No comments:

Post a Comment