Tuesday 13 July 2010

Passed Farley Junction - unsure where as map got wet

On Monday afternoon, Scott suggested that we go to the cinema to watch Predator, reluctantly I agreed so we walked for about an hour along the road into Tamworth. The town centre I can only describe as a larger ‘new arcade’ in Uxbridge (Opposite Nandos) apologies for those who do not know Uxbridge, but it is the only polite way I can describe it.

The film was OK – Don’t think I will watch it again and did spent a lot of time hiding behind the sleeve of my coat.

Tuesday was the first day of travelling in the rain. I was very thankful for my new raincoat which I got for my birthday, however I think I will wear my waterproof trousers as well. I did not really mind the rain, at least it was not cold. I was wondering about starting a fire (however, we have no coals at the moment) and was surprised that we passed a number of boats who did had a fire, I was reminded of the familiar smoky smell from the stove and it brought back memories of the cold winter and wondering where we will be this winter. Knowing my luck, frozen in, miles away from anywhere and unable to get coal, water or pump out (watch this space)

My cratch cover is becoming useful, I had visions of a little seating area with fluffy cushions like I have seen so many other boats have, currently it has turned into a storage and drying area for wet clothes, I don’t mind as muddy shoes are far better in there than inside. I do have a couple of cushions (bought from Sainsbury’s for £5) so I can still sit around the clutter.

We went through Farley Junction, was told it’s the busiest junction on the waterways. We did have to wait for 2 boats before we could use the lock and I was very useful in helping other boaters and having a chat to them in the rain. Would not like to be there in the height of the summer holidays. Have visions of getting up early to avoid the holiday boaters. Mind you, my definition of early has changed somewhat, no longer am I getting up at 6.30, I cant remember what 6.30 am looked like, normally we have been lying in till 8.00am, even Matilda is not up before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment