Monday 28 June 2010

Milton Keynes to Blisworth in the heat..

What a hot few days!!.. my word its warm. (yes, sparing a thought for those at work).

We were in Milton Keynes on Saturday as friends came to visit, we had a wonder around the shops and had a lovely lazy lunch and on Sunday, up at 6am to leave at 6.30am to start travelling before the heat of the day to leave Milton Keynes behind. Stopped to watch the football and walked for miles to get to a pub, which was probably the only pub in England not to show the game, so Scott had to stream it on the iphone on the walk back.

Today, up again at the crack of dawn to negotiate 7 locks before heading towards Stoke Bruerne. Very pretty town, worth a visit however, at 9am there was nothing open.

After Stoke Bruerne we travelled through the Blisworth Tunnel. Our first tunnel which Scott negotiated very well. It took around 30 minutes to go through and it was pitch black. It reminded me of the water slides which I went on when I was younger and was half expecting it to dip and bend a few times, but it didn’t, it was dead straight and after the first 15 minutes it was a tad boring.

We have now moored up just after Blisworth and saw some boats for sale, we looked at a brand new one and I was smiling to myself at the rather knowledgeable questions that we were asking – like true boaters. However at £90,000 slightly out of our price range.

We are beginning to see lots of hire boats, people on holiday. And yes, I know that I was (and probably still am) a novice, I still get tangled in the ropes and unable to moor neatly, however, when you see a man who really should not be wearing shorts, socks and sandals get in a muddle trying to untie his boat with ropes everywhere, tripping over them and really getting himself quite confused, I did smile to myself.

Today, we also saw a few old boats coming back from an historic boat festival, one in particular was going so fast into a lock, through the first gates and slammed into the closed gates ahead with a loud thud. I have never seen a canal boat move so quickly.

I forgot to mention a sight that we saw a few days ago, a calf had fallen in the canal. At first we could not make out what it was, when we realised it was a calf, we stopped the boat to make sure he/she was OK and whilst I was looking for the number for the RSPCA, it managed to rescue it self, poor thing must have been very tired.

The final bit of annoying news is that we moored yesterday near some cows and had an influx of flies, after flapping a newspaper up and down in the heat a number of times, we have related and bought some fly spray – yes, I know, I am a veggie and against killing animals etc etc, however, they are flies so do they count?

No comments:

Post a Comment